Thursday, August 27, 2009

Current Obsession: Special Food Edition

Today, we're going to talk about savory pies, my friends - otherwise known as A) teddy oggins! or B) pasties(not the things you stick to your nipples) - pronounced "pasty" as in, not the future but the "past...y".

You see, I really dig those tasty freezer-aisle treats called 'hot pockets' and have been trying for a while now to make them from scratch. I was then informed by a friend that I was not recreating hot pockets, but these "pasty" things that miners used to eat in Cornwall. It was like stew, and the bread/crust kept the dirt and coal dust out of the good stuff. There is a whole category on Wikipedia entitled "Savory Pies" and it lists all of the ethnic variations, with teddy oggins at the top.


A Little Recipe [from a website that I cannot recall, oops]:

1 c warm water
1 T sugar
packet of yeast
3 c flour
pinch of salt
.25 c oil

Combine water, sugar and yeast; let set for ten minutes. Add oil, then slowly, flour and salt. Knead and let rise for 45 mintutes. Cut into six sections, roll out, and fold around filling(I used cooked chicken and carrots and mushrooms and cheese - be careful and don't overcook the meat like I did, bleh). Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

[This is the part of the post where I present a photograph of my beautiful pasties, oven fresh and golden brown. Alas, mine turned out quite ugly, so you'll just have to trust me that they are easy and delicious and taste much better than they may look.]

No comments: